New Construction

Most new construction, additions and accessory structures, as well as fences, require Zoning Permits in addition to Building Permits. All commercial uses of a property and new construction of dwellings require a Use and Occupancy certificate which affirms that the use complies with the Zoning Ordinance and fire prevention regulations; the certificate must be obtained before the use is occupied.

An Earth Disturbance Permit (also referred to as a Grading Permit) may be required if your project involves any of the following:

  • Adds more than 1,000 square feet of new impervious surface
  • Earthmoving over 1,200 square feet on existing developed properties (regardless of the amount of new impervious surface)
  • Alter drainage patterns
  • Accelerate erosion
  • Adversely impact adjoining properties
  • Interfere with existing stormwater facilities
  • Work that disturbs more than 20 cubic yards, total, of earth removed

If you are unsure whether you need an Earth Disturbance Permit, please call the Township Engineering Division at 610-825-3535 x 2626 to verify. 

Obtaining Use & Occupancy Certificate

In order to obtain a Use and Occupancy Certificate, a Use and Occupancy Permit – Non Residential form (pdf) must be completed and submitted to the Township.  This must be submitted for any new non residential use or when a new non residential tenant or owner takes over an existing space.  The square footage of the space, number of employees (full- and part-time), tenant/owner, and responsible party and phone number, are required on the form.

The only time that a residential Use and Occupancy Permit is required is when a residential unit is initially constructed (be it a single-family home, townhouse, multi-family/apartment, etc.).  For any residential Use and Occupancy Permit, a regular Building and Zoning Permit form should be completed, indicating the address and if applicable, unit designation (for multi-family/apartment) that the Use and Occupancy Permit is requested for.  

Contact Us

  1. Whitemarsh Township Planning and Zoning


    616 Germantown Pike
    Lafayette Hill, PA 19444

    Ph: 610-825-3535
    Fx: 610-825-9416


    Monday - Friday
    8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

    Staff Directory